Welcome

Welcome to Snazzys blog where we hope to offer you regular inspiration using all the latest products both in store and the new Snazzys Online version. Plus, previews of upcoming workshops, product previews and reviews, mini tutorials and so much more.

Friday 22 July 2016

Mini Book Tutorial

Just wanted to say thank you to all our 'likers' and 'followers' plus a warm welcome to all the new faces joining us on Facebook, Twitter and this blog, so I felt a little freebie tutorial might be in order.

This really simple mini book is ideal if you have never made one before and a quick and easy gift for a special celebration or holder for photos from a special holiday. These are the papers I have used in my 'for instance'......

.... they are the new Homegrown collection from 7Dots Studios in deep rosy pinks, greys and greens. I used a trimmer with both a cutting and scoring blade, a bone folder for really crisp, neat folds and some 330gsm cream Cardstock for the 'bones' of the book.

I started with two pieces of the cream cardstock, the first 13" x 6" scored on the long side at 4", 41/2", 81/2" and 9" which make the outer cover. The second piece measures 16" x 6" scored on the long side at 4", 8" and 12" which makes the central accordion.


Fold all the score lines then assemble by sticking the back page of the accordion to the inside centre page of the outer cover - I tend to used double sided tape when I make books but you can also use your favourite wet glue which gives you a bit more 'wiggle' time to get everything lined up perfectly.

See I told you it was easy!

Now to the decoration.

When I make any project I always decide which papers I am using on the largest areas like the covers and page backgrounds before I cut anything else out - all the smaller pockets etc can be made easily from the scraps. I decided on the signature paper from the collection, the one with the poppies for my outer covers, cut them ready but didn't stick them down - I hadn't decided on the fastening for this book at this point but whether I use magnets or ribbons they will need to be secured onto the covers under the papers!

I covered a strip of plastic plasterer's tape from the DIY store with treasure gold to use in smaller pieces throughout the book for some texture layered with some mini pages die cut and stamped with various dies from the KellyPurkey range of planner dies and stamps by Hero Arts. Of course all the lovely co-ordinating tags and elements from the collection made decorating this book a breeze with just a little Tim Holtz Washi Tape thrown in here and there and some Prima doily dies cut from leftover cream card too!
 
 

Here is the front cover opened to the left....

....and to the right with the front page of the accordion in the centre. I tend to use similar papers on each opening with repeated colours and elements to help it all hang together and avoid it being overly busy.

Here is the accordion opened to the right where the backgrounds are with the grey and green toned papers with highlights of the pinks and creams....

....and then to the left, where I have used more pinks and reds in the base papers then added accents of green, grey and cream with just a dash of pink to decorate. I have left spaces for small photos throughout the book as I have some vintage family photos in mind for mine.

You could make a matching gift box to present a mini like this in though it is freestanding for display by itself.

Well I hope you have a go at this little mini and would love to see how you decorate yours, links in the comments please!

If you live near enough and fancy making this, including the matching pizza style gift box, on Saturday 6 August 11am to 3pm you can book by email and the class costs £15 paid on the day or just £12 if paid at the time of booking. (Class fee includes all materials etc.)

Hope to see you soon

Val x

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment