Welcome

Welcome to Snazzys blog where we hope to offer you regular inspiration using all the latest products both in store and the new Snazzys Online version. Plus, previews of upcoming workshops, product previews and reviews, mini tutorials and so much more.

Monday 12 January 2015

A Frugal Journey Through January Day 12

Today's post is all about texture paste. Over the years I have owned heavy duty gesso, grunge paste, modelling paste in both light and heavy, iridescent paste and much more, all of them allow me to add texture to a project, with or without masks, stamps and stencils. I like each of the above for different reasons so I buy all of them, and by the time I get around to using more than a smidge, despite cling film over the top etc, I will find they have dried out!

So, I make my own. I was given a couple of different recipes but I like the baby powder one best and it keeps very well without drying out. I haven't worked out the economics of home made v bought but I do know I'm not wasting as much working this way.

I make up small quantities at a time using one part glue, two parts acrylic paint and four parts baby powder. I tend to only make it up in black, using Cosmic Shimmer's black acrylic glue to get a truly black paste, white and a sort of antique, off white which I store in these dinky airtight jars. This recipe gives you a fairly thick paste which you can always thin a little with acrylic paint if you are using very finely detailed stencils.

This page was done using my black paste.

To create coloured paste to match my projects I take either the white paste, if I am mixing clear cool colours, or the off white version if I am working with warmer colours and simply scoop a little onto my craft mat or an acrylic block mixing it with one or more drops of Distress Reinkers depending on the depth of shade I want to create.

This is the off white paste with three drops of Shabby Shutters Distress Reinkers, used with remnants of the Prima Sunrise, Sunset papers from yesterday's project.

No idea where I am going with this page but I liked the colours together.

 

On this page I started with white paste with Tumbled Glass Reinker and after making a patch of this through my teardrop stencil, I left the stencil in place mixing Broken China Reinker to the remaining paste for the next patch. I just continued adding slightly darker Reinker to the paste each time to create a graduated look.

To create shimmery paste I either add some Perfect Pearl powder and colour as before with Reinker, or add a tiny scoop of Luminarte Primary Elements/Polished Pigment powders. This one Is Key Lime.

 

The photo really doesn't capture the lustre.

Of course when you have all applied texture paste to your project, but before it dries you can sprinkle glitter or embossing powder over it too!

So there we have it, my take on Texture Paste. Hope you found it useful.

Same time, same place tomorrow with a bit of fussy cut paper piecing on a torn paper background.

Thanks for dropping by xx

 

5 comments:

  1. Great tips Val, i have Grunge Paste at the moment but when that is gone i will try making my own so i can make it up in small batches, this is better storage and more economical for me.

    Love the page, love the tips and looking forward to more tomorrow :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know me Mo, always ready to play in the cause of product research lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips today Val!! love the lime green paste! I often regenerate my grunge paste with water, it works fine! just give it a good stir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Helen, I will try that as I still have some that is a bit dry x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another very useful post so thanks Val! Small portions would be good for me most of the time too. I love my Grunge Paste but was really annoyed with myself a couple of weeks ago when I found some Golden products (various including texture paste) that I bought before I really got into this type of crafting and I had to throw them all out as they'd gone solid! Like Helen I revive my GP with water and it works fine but I want to have a go with your homemade recipe.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete