Yesterday I showed you my Tuesday evening workshop 'for instances' at Snazzys and I'm back today to give you the lowdown on how I made the embellishments using Chocolate Baroque's Steampunkery stamps. Firstly the steampunk topper,
which was stamped with Versafine Onyx Black onto the smooth side of some Ideaology Grungeboard which gave a good, sturdy base for a coat of Eco Green Crafts black acrylic paint and three layers of Snazzys clear embossing powder. I then restamped the wings from the stamp three times onto Ideaology Grungepaper and the turnkey once - much easier to cut out the detail, painted them with Eco Green Crafts Aged Silver acrylic paint and when dry, restamped them all again. I find it simplest when stamping elements from a stamp onto pieces I have already cut out, to ink the stamp, leave it face up on the desk and position the pieces onto the inked surface using an acrylic block on top to apply pressure to the piece before carefully removing from the stamp. I added a couple of gears cut from Ideaology Grungeboard and black shrink plastic, coloured with Viva Inca Gold in Silver, and topped it with a watch face from a selection of Snazzys Steampunk Bitz Watch Faces. I attached the whole thing to the aperture with Snazzys Black Foam Pads.
Next the caged Flying Alarm Clock,
which was stamped with Versafine Onyx Black onto Ideaology Grungepaper with the wings and the watchface restamped onto Bazzill Smoothie cardstock in Blackberry Swirl and embossed with Snazzy's clear embossing powder. The cage was cut from Grungeboard with the Tim Holtz Alterations die, painted with Ranger Adirondack Paint Dabber in Copper with just a smattering of black acrylic sponged on top to add to the grungy look.
The alarm clock was also painted with copper dabber and then restamped with Onyx Black as described above and after a swipe with the Viva Inca Gold in Copper I assembled the embellishment with Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue and topped it with another of the watch faces from the Snazzys Steampunk Bitz set.
Lastly, my favourite embellishment, the Steampunk Beetle
stamped like the others with Versafine Onyx Black onto Ideaology Grungepaper with the watchface and the wings restamped onto Bazzill Blackberry Swirl cardstock and embossed with Snazzy's clear embossing powder. (I didn't bother painting and restamping this one as all of it was eventually covered with the restamped wing pieces and the UTEE beetle). Yes, I made a mould using Ranger's Mold-n-Pour and a lonely brass Steampunk Beetle from my stash - I could have overcome that it was the wrong colour for my project with some black acrylic paint and Inca Gold in Silver, but I couldn't get past it's weight, which was way too heavy for the piece. I melted 50/50 Ranger Melt Art clear and black UTEE in my Melt Pan and poured very slowly into my beetle mould. I was surprised how quickly it cooled and set, all ready with the extra wings and watchface for a (rather heavy handed) smidge of Silver Inca Gold and a good dollop of Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue to assemble. The hanger is another Tim Holtz Alterations die cut from Grungeboard and painted with the Aged Silver acrylic paint and the jump rings are Tim Holtz Ideaology too!
I love the way the embossing on the black cardstock wings was highlighted by the Inca Gold, and I'm sure I'll find a way of using that beetle mould over and over.
Thanks for popping by, back soon xx